President Ted Kempinski, 1st Vice President Anthony Parolisi, 2nd Vice President Suzette DiTonno, Treasurer Jill Perkins-Bouchard, Secretary Deb Russell, ESP Unit Representative Lois Silva and Clerical Unit Representative Patti MacRae, as were representatives from Crowell, Greenleaf, Bradford, Golden Hill, Pentucket Lake, Silver Hill, Hunking, Nettle, Haverhill High and St. James
- Acceptance of Minutes:
A. Motion was made by Jill Perkins-Bouchard to accept the minutes of the February 28, 2019 Faculty Representative meeting of the Haverhill Education Association. Motion was seconded by Suzette DiTonno. Motion passed.
- President’s ReportA. NewBusiness
- Pentucket Lake-An Unfair Labor Practice against Principal is being filed based on
- PLC’s at High School is being attended by administration, Ted spoke to the Principal and administration will no longer be attending the PLC’s.
- ESP’s – working on dates for ESP’s to meet with Ashley Adams to assist them in understanding the rights they have.
- President is concerned about the lack of response to his emails from the Superintendent. He is hoping for quicker responses. Every 2 days he will resend the email if there is not response.
- HCAT- Red Shirt Day- good response and successful. HEA hopes to do this again and get even more participation. Next meeting of the HCAT team is March 27th.
- Reorganization in District-Superintendent’s plan to reorganize things in the district will be voted on at the April 11th School Committee meeting. We are unsure if preference will be going out this year.
- Professional Development Days- Issue with having enough time between student dismissals, time for lunch and when teachers have to report for the meeting. A number of ESP’s have second jobs and are unable to get
to their job on time due to the PD schedule. The Superintendent has intentions on working on Professional Development schedule for next year, she will involve teachers and ESP’s.
- Promise Act- Ted will be attending the hearing at the State House to represent the future funding needs for Haverhill.
- Personnel Issues- HEA will be putting out a statement next year regarding electronic communications. There have been a number of cases of members conducting personal business on school time using school technology. It is very important that member DO NOT use school computers to conduct personal business.
- 1st Vice President Report A. Grievance
- Literacy Coaches, Reading Specialists and Interventionists.- Level II, change in working conditions and failure to bargain, the Superintendent has 5 days to respond.
- HS Dean grievance- Dean positions were not paid their full stipend. They developed a job description to be considered as part of potential resolution.
- ESP at the TEACH program had not been paid for substituting for a teacher. This was settled and the ESP was paid.
- HHS- Learning walks. Forms were being used during Learning Walks that had been developed but not in practice. Documents used were collected and shredded. Principal will develop a new form to be reviewed.
- 2nd bargaining update letters have been printed and ready for distribution.
- Meeting Dates
- April 2nd at 4:30, if any member is interested in attending the bargaining meeting you must let Anthony know by March 28th.
- April 9th at 4:00
- 2nd Vice President Report
- Survey-During the bargaining meeting a question came up regarding additional steps and lanes. School Committee wanted to know how many staff have a Masters +60. The bargaining team developed a survey and has sent out to HEA members. Deadline for Survey is March 24th.
- Scholarship-April Newsletter will report money donated by buildings. Retirees continue to support the Scholarship with $835.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Budget-Budget report was distributed and will be voted on at the April 25thmeeting.
- 245 ESP’s
- 37 Clerical
- Checking- $403, 433
- Reserves- $38, 362
VI. Secretary’s Report
A. Election-Notice regarding elections will be going out to members.
B. Election/Nomination Committee has been formed
- Members of Committee include, Stephanie Viola (Chairperson), Tom Jordan, Amy Gallagher, Eileen Paquette and Dan Cerat
- Nomination period ends April 4th at 5:00pm. Members may nominate or self nominate, just email Stephanie Viola with the names of interested candidate. A brief write-up must be submitted by end of nomination period.
- The following positions are up for election:
2nd Vice President
Clerical- Special Election, Patti MacRae has resigned her position. Her work, time and dedication to the HEA has been invaluable and greatly appreciated.
- ESP Report- nothing
- Clerical Report- nothing to report at this time
- Elementary Curriculum Meeting April 8th is scheduled for the same week as Parent-Teacher Conference (April 10th) Ted received an email from the Superintendent acknowledging this and is looking to reschedule for April 29th. Ted will reply requesting that it be scheduled for April 22nd in keeping with the meeting schedule stated in the contract for 1st and 3rd Mondays.
- JobPosting issue for an ESP position that states that the ESP will be teaching
Motion was made by Barbara Freeman to adjourn the meeting. It was seconded by Suzette DiTonno. Motion passed. Meeting was adjourned at 5:44.
Deb Russell HEA Secretary
to report at the moment