Rank-and-File Members Needed
for HEA Committees
While this year has brought no shortage of crises for the HEA to address, there’s more to active unionism than Crisis/Contract Action Teams and contract negotiations. A successful and powerful democratic organization depends on members being as active and engaged in the day-to-day business of building the union as they are when marching up Main Street or storming the School Committee at City Hall.
No matter how much experience you have as an educator or a union member, all are welcome to apply for and join select committees established by the Executive Committee. We have opportunities for every level of interest and availability! New members welcome!
- Grievance Committee – Reviews potential contract violations as reported by the members to determine whether to file a grievance with the administration or refer an issue to the Joint Labor Management Committee. Meets 1st and 3rd Thursday each month at 7:00pm. Next: December 3rd
- Joint Labor Management Committee – Represents the HEA in regular meetings with the administration to discuss issues related to working conditions that may not be subject to the grievance process. Attempts to resolve some issues prior to necessitating a grievance. Meets biweekly beginning in December. Next: TBD
- Action Team – Organizes and plans actions in support of HEA bargaining demands and our right to safe and supportive schools and better working conditions. Coordinates with other action teams (i.e. MVEU & other regional associations, statewide organizing task force, etc.). Meets Mondays at 4:30pm. Next: November 23rd
- ESP Contract Action Team – Organizes and plans actions in support of the ESP Living Wage Campaign and fights for better working conditions specific to ESP issues. Meets as needed. Next: TBD
- Membership Committee – Works with the Membership Chair to create and implement a membership plan and promote membership throughout the year. Engages and recruits new members. Meets on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 4:30pm. Next: December 1st
- Environmental Health & Safety Committee – Discusses issues and concerns with building custodians and administration to solve problems quickly and collaboratively. A member from each building will represent the HEA on a district-wide EH&S Committee to discuss broader issues or those that are not resolved at the building level. Meets monthly at each building (see your representative for info) and district wide. Next district wide meeting: TBD
- Bylaws Committee – Reviews the current bylaws of the HEA and recommends amendments as needed. Meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 6:00pm. Next: December 8th
- Scholarship Committee – Raises money for the annual HEA Scholarship, determines candidate qualifications and selects a winner. Meets every other month. Next: Tuesday, December 15th at 4:30 pm.
HEA Executive Committee