HEA Board of Directors Minutes February 9, 2023 The February 9, 2023 meeting of the Board of Directors was called to order by President Tim Briggs at 4:16 pm. In attendance was President Tim Briggs, 1st Vice President Barry Davis, 2nd Vice President Liz Briggs, Treasurer Lauren Sanguedolce, Secretary Deb Russell, and Clerical Representative Vicki Steed. The following buildings were represented by their Building Representatives: Bradford, Consentino, Haverhill High, Hunking, Pentucket, Lake,Silver Hill, and Walnut Square.
HEA Board of Directors Minutes
February 9, 2023
The February 9, 2023 meeting of the Board of Directors was called to order by President Tim Briggs at 4:16 pm. In attendance were President Tim Briggs, 1st Vice President Barry Davis, 2nd Vice President Liz Briggs, Treasurer Lauren Sanguedolce, Secretary Deb Russell, and Clerical Representative Vicki Steed.
The following buildings were represented by their Building Representatives: Bradford, Consentino, Haverhill High, Hunking, Pentucket, Lake,Silver Hill, and Walnut Square.
Acceptance of Agenda for the February 9th Board of Directors meeting:Motion to accept the agenda was made by Katelyn Watts and seconded by Vicki Steed. Motion passed.
Acceptance of the minutes for the January 26th meeting. Motion was made to accept the minutes by Jennifer Zabelsky and seconded by Lynn Sullivan. Motion passes.
- ESP Report
- Meet twice- they have decided to develop a “platform”
- Next meeting is 2/13 and we have already heard from the School Committee to set up first bargaining session.
II.Clerical Unit Representative Report
- Bargaining Meeting- went very well. We will be sending out a survey. Next meeting 2/28/23
III. Membership Chair Report
- Applications for Security-please see Katelyn if you have any security members in your building so they can get signed up.
- OT/PT – requested a list of members from HR so we can begin the discussions to get their members in the union.
IV Treasurer’s Report
- Membership Numbers as of 2/8/2023
- Clerks 47
- ESPs 193
- Teachers 766
- Total Members 1,006
- Bank Information as of 2/8/2023
- Checking Account $213,565.34
- Money Market Reserve Account $238,816.78
- Scholarship Account $142
- Total $452,524.12
- Budget- potential/proposed budget
- Last year-186,000 we only spent 142,000 and had an extra 43,000. Lauren foresees a similar situation for this year even after we pay our 200,000 fine.
- Other adjustments/changes
- Accountant for taxes
- Public Relations and Organizing- went over the budget
- Right now -Budget of 191,000 we have spent 95,000
- Dues increase- for the year
- $25 increase -teachers
- $15 increase ESPs
- $7.50 increase Clerical and Security
- That would give us an extra 41,000
- This does not take into consideration any increase in MTA or NEA dues
- Projects and Duties
- Attended meetings for the Action Team, Bylaws Committee, E-Board, and ESP Bargaining.
- Continuing to calculate and examine funds for next year’s budget. I’d like to share a draft, discuss it at the next E-Board meeting, and then share a final proposal in March. Proposed HEA Budget 2023-2024
- Deb and I purchased drinks, envelopes, and snacks for the office.
- Deposited checks for HEA Gear.
- Recommended a fundraiser to bring us together, reward a lucky member, and build our scholarship funds.
- Sent 4 emails to MTA Membership inquiring about dues at other locals and access to the NEA membership database.
- Secretary’s Report
- Bylaws Committee
- Looking for more people to join. We just began to look through the bylaws. Next possible meeting date might
- Building Rep duties- Everyone received a red binder.
VI 2nd Vice President’s Report
- HEA gear orders are out. Order will go out over Feb. Vacation
- Food Drive- still doing it. Any donation is a great donation.
- Newsletter-send me any information.
VIII. 1st Vice President
- MVBC- met at the HEA office. Tim, Barry, Cliff and Lynn are our members on the council. Next meeting 3/2/2023
- MTA Winter Skills was this past weekend.
- MTA – Spring Emergent Leader courses
- Action Team- Chrissy and Cliff are Co-Chairs
- Flyers are going out
- Climate and Culture surveys at HHS
- Stand out at the School Committee- WE ARE STILL HERE!
- Pay Related
- President’s Report-
- Old Business
- $110,000 to state.
- Debt Exclusion moving to a June vote
- MTA- right to strike movement
- MCAS thrive Act – removing MCAS
- New Business
- Bargaining with ESPs and Clerks getting started.
- Safety Committee – starting to put together some processes.
- Safety of students and staff is still a major issue at HPS and are concerned with what is being done and more importantly what is NOT being done.
- CAT-Team- Close to 90 people at the first meeting.
- We are here to say–”We are STILL HERE” We understand what is going on and the seriousness of it. We are going to continue to operate from a place of power.
- Teachpoint PDPs
- They can be used for licensure but are not being allowed to turn in for 22.5 credit for “lane” change in pay schedule.
- ULP dates in March
- We have yet to hear anything on a decision on the districts ULP on us for the strike. However they are willing to walk away from if the HEA gives us $500,000
- March 21/22- ULP for illegal surveillance.
- District went against contract by asking ESPs and non 12 month clerks and nurses to report on strike day. No students or staff they are not be there and want the HEA to pay their salary for being there on those days.
- Consentino- Yes for Consentino is a Yes for Haverhill
- Problems and Concerns
- Teachers being asked why they need medical leave
- They can ask and are bound to confidentiality. With a doctor’s note and they really can’t challenge it.
Motion to adjourn was made and passed. Meeting was adjourned at 5:50pm.